NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Pacific Ethanol (PEIX) popped 14.89% to $17.90, up $2.32 from its previous close of $15.58, at the close of trading on Tuesday after the biofuel company provided a positive outlook in an operational update.
The company announced in its 10-K commentary that it had produced 149.7 million gallons of ethanol and had sales of $908.4 million in 2013, up from 140.6 million gallons and $816.04 million in sales in 2012.
Pacific Ethanol said it plans to restart its Madera, Calif. production facility and improve operating efficiency at its various facilities in 2014. It also plans to continue diversifying its revenue and feedstock and to increase the value of its ethanol by continuing to decrease its carbon intensity. The goal is sustained, profitable growth.
The stock hit a high of $17.98 for the day, just short of its one-year high of $18.20. It hit a low of $15.11 for the day and holds a one-year low of $2.33. Nearly 3.9 million shares changed hands, up from the average volume of 1,402,000.Pacific Ethanol continued to rise 0.28% to $17.95 in after-hours trading. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates PACIFIC ETHANOL INC as a "hold" with a ratings score of C-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate PACIFIC ETHANOL INC (PEIX) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance and impressive record of earnings per share growth. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including generally higher debt management risk and poor profit margins." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 7.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 9.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 190.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 172.34% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- The gross profit margin for PACIFIC ETHANOL INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 10.03%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 3.99% trails the industry average.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.23 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio is weak, PEIX's quick ratio is somewhat strong at 1.43, demonstrating the ability to handle short-term liquidity needs.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: PEIX Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.