NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Hilltop Holdings Inc (HTH) was down 8% to $22.13 in aftermarket trading Tuesday.
The decline comes following the announcement of an investigation by law firm Block & Leviton LLP into the SWS Group (SWS) and Hilltop Holdings merger that was announced earlier in the day.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks
The law firm said that it was investigating potential breaches of fiduciary duty by SWS Group's board of directors in connection with the merger. Hilltop Holdings shares were up 1.1% during day trading following the news of the merger.
"Block & Leviton's investigation seeks to determine, among other things, whether SWS directors breached their fiduciary duties by failing to maximize shareholder value in the proposed acquisition by Hilltop, the fairness by which the SWS directors considered and approved the transaction, and specifically whether Hilltop dominated the process through its significant holdings in the company," the law firm said in a statement.
SWS Group closed the day up 5.6% to $7.90.
- HTH's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 13.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 102.7%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- HILLTOP HOLDINGS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, HILLTOP HOLDINGS INC turned its bottom line around by earning $1.40 versus -$0.12 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.43 versus $1.40).
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 161.53% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 69.14% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.36, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: HTH Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV