NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Goldman Sachs Group Inc. (GS) were up today by $2.07, or 1.26%, to 165.92, after it was reported that the firm is in the process of selling its "designated market-maker" unit, sources told the Financial Times.
The firm was said to have a buyer for the unit which has been valued by analysts at about $30 million.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 7.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 4.4%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for GOLDMAN SACHS GROUP INC is rather high; currently it is at 52.26%. Regardless of GS's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, GS's net profit margin of 22.95% compares favorably to the industry average.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, GOLDMAN SACHS GROUP INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: GS Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV