HOUSTON, April 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Omega Protein Corporation (NYSE symbol: OME), a nutritional product company and a leading producer of omega-3 fish oil and specialty protein products, today announced that its Board of Directors has approved an amendment to its Shareholder Rights Plan to accelerate the final expiration date to April 1, 2014, more than six years earlier than initially specified in the Plan. The Plan was originally adopted in June 2010 in view of various factors that were then impacting the price of the Company's common stock, including the 2010 BP oil spill in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico.
The Board of Directors made its decision to accelerate the expiration date of the Plan after receiving feedback from institutional shareholders and other investors and after considering the improvement in the price of the Company's common stock since the Plan was initiated in June 2010. The Board concluded that this action was appropriate under the current circumstances. However, the Board reserved the right to adopt a new shareholder rights plan in the future, consistent with its fiduciary responsibilities.
About Omega ProteinOmega Protein Corporation (NYSE:OME) is a century old nutritional company that develops, produces and delivers healthy products throughout the world to improve the nutritional integrity of functional foods, dietary supplements and animal feeds. Omega Protein's mission is to help people lead healthier lives with better nutrition through sustainably sourced ingredients such as highly-refined omega-3 rich fish oil, specialty proteins and nutraceuticals.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV