6 Things to Ask Before Diving Into Pool Ownership
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- If you're thinking of installing a pool for summer or maintaining the one you have, the cost may seem prohibitive. With proper upkeep, though, the cost of pool ownership per month is far less than the average weekend getaway. Here's a look at some of the most frequently asked questions surrounding pool ownership and what you can do to keep your costs low.
How much will my pool really cost to run and maintain during the summer months?
The cost for running on a residential pool will vary according to region, says Willan Johnson, CEO of VivoPools, based in Los Angeles. On average, the cost is $200 per month, and it breaks down like this:
- Electrical costs to run equipment: $80 per month
- Electrical/ Gas costs to heat pool or spa during swim season: $80 per month
- Costs of chemicals: $20 per month
- Costs of equipment repairs/maintenance: $20 per month
"It's hard to put a financial return on investment on pool ownership," Johnson says. "Some families spend $2,500 per year eating out in restaurants -- it all depends on how you want to spend your money. If you think your pool is a worthwhile investment, the costs associated with maintaining it are just factored in to the overall budget of your home."The cost to hire a professional service company -- a "pool boy" -- costs around $100 per month in California, around $160 in Texas and about $380 in New York and New Jersey.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV