NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- KiOR Inc (KIOR) is soaring on Tuesday after receiving funding from venture capitalist Vinod Khosla. In March, the biodiesel producer said its operations were under considerable financial strain and that if it didn't have a debt deal finalized by April 1, it would not be able to continue as a going concern.
By noon, shares had exploded 64.1% to 94 cents. Trading volume of 11.5 million was more than five times its three-month daily average.
In an SEC filing filed after the bell Monday, KiOR said it had entered into a senior secured promissory note purchase agreement for up to $25 million in financing. The first tranche, likely to close on April 3, will see Khosla's KFT Trust purchasing $5 million of senior secured debt.
The Pasadena, Texas-based business said it would also issue KFT Trust a 2014 warrant to purchase 872,600 of common stock at 57.3 cents a share.Must read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. KIOR data by YCharts STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV