NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Intuitive Surgical Inc. (ISRG) is up 10% to $482 in heavy trading Tuesday. So far today, 1.58 million shares exchanged hands, triple the stock's daily average of 508,000.
Today's bump comes following the company's announcement that the FDA had approved its da Vinci Xi surgical system.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks
The company describes the robotic surgical system as "a technological leap forward in replacing large-incision abdominal surgeries (open surgery) with a minimally invasive approach."
"The da Vinci Xi System's new overhead architecture means that multi-quadrant surgery can be performed without repositioning the system, an innovation long sought by surgeons who perform complex procedures. We strive to provide the most advanced, least invasive option for surgery, and we are working hard to make minimally invasive surgery the standard of care," said Gary Guthart, company'president and CEO.
Having won approval from U.S. regulators, the company now plans to seek clearance to market the technology worldwide.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV