NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- On CNBC's "Cramer's Mad Dash" segment, TheStreet's Jim Cramer, co-manager of the Action Alerts PLUS portfolio, examined Piper Jaffray's research note on Apple (AAPL), an AAP holding.
The stock has remained largely unchanged while "old technology" stocks like Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), Microsoft (MSFT) and Western Digital (WDC) all continue moving higher. The analyst explained that Apple is a quality value-play candidate, too.
Cramer said Piper Jaffray thinks the iPhone is underrated, as is the boost to the dividend and buyback program.
Cramer likes Apple but called Samsung a "great company" and stock. However, it may be difficult for U.S. retail investors to get in the name since it trades in the Korean stock market.
However, shares of Samsung would go much higher if listed in the United States, he said.Turning to MannKind (MNKD), the stock is soaring after a Food and Drug Administration panel recommended approval of diabetes drug Afrezza. Cramer added that the "short interest here is monumental" because the bears didn't think the drug would be approved. "You have to watch this one," he concluded, adding that he has no opinion on the stock. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV