NEW YORK (Real Money) -- China is falling apart; go buy the industrials.
It really is like that right now. That purchasing managers index number out of China last night, 48 down from 48.5, is something we expect out of Europe -- not China. It's downright terrible.
But the industrials keep getting bought.
It is almost as if the identical information from July of last year, when the reading had been this low, is now being interpreted in a totally different manner. Last year the industrials sold off on this number. This time, it looks like will continue to roar.Now, I know someone can come up with a thesis that explains this. "Jim, there is going to be a big stimulus package." But that was the rumor last July, and it didn't matter back then. Or, "Jim, the U.S. is carrying things." But if that's the case, is it too much to ask for empirical evidence? Or, "Jim, don't you see the growth spurt that's occurring around the globe?" To which I can truthfully say: "No." Instead, this is one of those moments when the market rotation has a life of its own until it is met with cold, hard facts. Right now, even cold, hard facts -- like a missed quarter from Oracle (ORCL) or Caterpillar (CAT) -- mean nothing. The money just keeps flowing out of high-growth and into slow-growth. And there's no real explanation other than: Fed Chair Janet Yellen said things are better. A thin reed that has turned the world upside down, and even Chinese weakness can't seem to change the perception. At the time of publication, Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, had no positions in the securities mentioned. Editor's Note: This article was originally published at 7:18 a.m. EST on Real Money on April 1.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV