The key words in that statement were "a set of products." And while commenting on the Oculus deal, an excited Zuckerberg offered this vision of virtual reality:
"Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face -- just by putting on goggles in your home."
Zuckerberg believes Oculus has the potential to become the next communication platform, one that can allow people to share unlimited spaces and experiences. Critics hate what they don't understand. But Zuckerberg sees the future. And the future will be more than just mobile.
Zuckerberg is smart enough to not get complacent. Although some observers have complained that Facebook is somehow "losing its cool factor" among teenagers, they conveniently ignore that losing this demographic in apps may not matter, because Oculus may be the product to get them back.
A Forbes contributor offered 7 reason to dump Facebook. A Seeking Alpha contributor has argued that Zuckerberg is being too frivolous with its money. The article didn't mention the $1 billion Zuckerberg gave to charity last December.
It seems that no matter how much progress the social media company has made since its initial public offering in 2012, it will never escape this kind of criticism. With revenue growing in the recent quarter by more than 60%, Zuckerburg does not want to let his foot off the pedal. Critics should fear being run over. At the time of publication, the author held no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @Richard_WSPB This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV