Update (9:35 a.m.): Updated with Tuesday market information.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- JMP Securities upgraded Nvidia (NVDA - Get Report) to "outperform" from "market perform" and set a $26 target price. The firm noted the company is focused on increasing gross margin.
The stock was up 3.41% to $18.52 at 9:34 a.m. on Tuesday.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. ---------- Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates NVIDIA CORP as a "buy" with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate NVIDIA CORP (NVDA) a BUY. This is driven by a number of strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels, expanding profit margins and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, NVDA's share price has jumped by 40.63%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, NVDA should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 5.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for NVIDIA CORP is rather high; currently it is at 58.36%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 12.83% trails the industry average.
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.31, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio shows mixed results, the company's quick ratio of 5.39 is very high and demonstrates very strong liquidity.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: NVDA Ratings Report