- Finnish operator DNA has chosen Ericsson as the sole supplier for its nationwide LTE 800 MHz network
- DNA also aims to improve 4G, 3G and 2G networks so customers are able to enjoy higher data rates outside major urban areas
- Rollout will greatly enhance connectivity not only in the large population centers but also in the sparsely populated parts of Finland
STOCKHOLM, Sweden, April 1, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Finnish telecom company DNA has signed a deal with Ericsson (NASDAQ: ERIC) to supply a new, nationwide LTE 800 MHz network and to improve existing 4G, 3G and 2G networks. Ericsson is deploying the latest multi-standard RBS 6000 family of base stations and network management solutions. Alongside the products, Ericsson will provide network rollout services such as installation, civil works, integration, commissioning and associated project management. In addition, Ericsson will provide support for software and hardware, spare parts management services and initial tuning.
The LTE network is expected to cover 80 percent of Finland's population by the end of 2014 and will greatly enhance connectivity, particularly in sparsely populated parts of Finland. People living outside the main urban areas will also gain from improvements made in the existing 3G and 4G networks under the terms of the deal.
Tommy Olenius, Vice President, Technology at DNA, says: "We are looking forward to continue our close cooperation with Ericsson and to expand our high-quality mobile broadband services to customers all over Finland, particularly to those outside the major urban areas. Together with the 4G LTE rollout, also 3G network coverage improvements will be carried out simultaneously, bringing 3G population coverage up to 99% of the population, which is nearly equal to the current GSM coverage."Robert Puskaric, Head of Region Northern Europe and Central Asia, Ericsson, says: "This project will see an enhanced mobile broadband experience offered to DNA's customers through a high-capacity LTE network. We will leverage our combined technology and services leadership to deliver this improved experience to DNA's subscribers."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts