James Dennin, Kapitall: These 4 rallying small-caps give you leverage on agricultural commodities, oil, real estate, and consumer goods.
The first quarter of 2014 wasn't great for stocks as investors moved out of equities and into more conservative assets like gold, currency, and bonds.
[Read more from Kapitall: Hedge funds like these 7 Chinese tech stocks]
That trend seems likely to be short-lived.Investors have taken more money out of ETFs that track US debt than at any time since 2010 due to increasingly bullish news from the Fed. All eyes will be on US unemployment numbers this week where good news will encourage more risk-taking and economic activity. Bloomberg notes that investors have started to move their assets into riskier bets like small-cap stocks. If the index sees more interest from the market, then rallying companies there would do even better. Since small-caps are riskier than other stocks, we made the screen more rigorous than usual. To get through, companies needed to show at least 15% sales growth quarter over quarter and return on equity (ROE) of at least 15%. Successful candidates also had to have low debt and an encouraging Dupont breakdown. Read more about commodities as a portfolio hedge. The Dupont breakdown goes beyond ROE to describe exactly where a company's return on equity is coming from: higher profits and greater sales. Just 4 small-cap stocks made it through our screen. Click on the interactive chart to view data over time. 1.Calavo Growers Inc. (CVGW):Procures and markets avocados and other perishable commodities, and prepares and distributes processed avocado products in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $552.93M, most recent closing price at $35.16. MRQ net profit margin at 2.37% vs. 1.94% y/y. MRQ sales/assets at 0.717 vs. 0.645 y/y. MRQ assets/equity at 1.854 vs. 1.925 y/y.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV