Shortly after market open, shares had exploded 89.5% to $5.95. 595
On Friday, the Denver, Colo.-based business received a proposal from Greenlight Capital, founded by hedge fund manager David Einhorn, and James R. Brickman which suggested BioFuel acquire equity in real-estate developer JBGL Capital and JBGL Builder Finance. JBGL is currently owned and controlled by Greenlight and Brickman.
In a letter to BioFuel's board, Einhorn and Brickman proposed the purchase for $275 million, payable in cash and stock.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. "We believe that this proposal provides an opportunity for the Company and its stockholders to acquire an interest in a business with long term equity potential and an attractive portfolio of assets," Einhorn and JBGL Funds founder Brickman wrote in the letter. In response, BioFuel's board will establish a special committee of independent directors to evaluate the proposal. Additionally, Greenlight Capital disclosed in an SEC filing that it had increased its stake in the ethanol producer to 35.5% from 26.2% as of the end of 2013. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV