NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- U.S. stock futures were leaning higher Monday amid broad international market gains as China and European Central Bank stimulus hopes persisted.
- Dow Jones Industrial Average futures were up 64 points, or 63.94 points above fair value, at 16,304, S&P 500 futures were up 7.25 points, or 7.78 points above fair value, at 1,857.75, and Nasdaq futures were up 17.5 points, or 18.62 points above fair value, at 3,580.5.
- The Chicago PMI report for March is scheduled to be released at 9:45 a.m. EDT. The Dallas Fed general business activity index is expected at 10:30 a.m.
- Federal Reserve Chairwoman Janet Yellen will give a speech at a community reinvestment conference in Chicago at 9:55 a.m. Markets will be tuning in for further clarification on comments she made about two weeks ago that interest rates could begin rising as early as spring 2015.
- China Premier Li Keqiang on Friday provided reassurances that the Chinese government has the required policies and steps laid out to provide the support needed for a cooling economy and would pursue infrastructure investment.
- As the European Central Bank gets ready for its monthly policy meeting on Thursday, speculation points to an easing of policy amid pressures that arose after reports showing a drop in inflation in Spain and Germany on Friday.
- International markets were broadly higher on Monday, with the Hong Kong Hang Seng settling up 0.39%, Japan's Nikkei 225 closing up 0.9%, the DAX in Germany gaining 1.44%, and the FTSE 100 in London rising 0.41%.
- Stocks poised for action Monday include Cal-Maine Foods (CALM) and Panera Bread (PNRA - Get Report). Cal-Maine Foods beat fiscal third-quarter earnings estimates by 36 cents at $1.77 a share amid improved volumes through the holiday season and higher average selling prices. Panera Bread was raised to "outperform" from "neutral" by analysts at Wedbush.
- Novartis (NVS - Get Report) was popping more than 3.5% in premarket trading after the company announced that the trial of a chronic heart failure treatment is closing early based on the strength of interim results.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts