When officials from the IAM, the airline and the NMB met last week in Washington, "We told the NMB we're not moving our position anymore," Ryan said. "The company has said the same thing. That's the definition of an impasse."
American Eagle pilots were also left out of US Airways' grand bankruptcy bargain with American unions. On Friday, 70% of the pilots rejected the airline's tentative contract proposal.
At a news conference Friday, Bill Sprague, president of the Eagle chapter of the Air Line Pilots Association, said the pilots didn't want a proposed 10-year contract that locked in "clearly unacceptable" pay rates. A major benefit in the contract is the ability to "flow through" from Eagle to mainline American, but Sprague said a move to American depends on whether American is hiring, but "all the unpleasant things still take effect" whether American is hiring or not.
American CEO Doug Parker said last month that he could improve labor relations at American, but Sprague questioned the remark and said the negotiations have not involved much listening on the company's part.
"I've got to wonder what he was referring to," Sprague said. "One way to achieve an agreement here is ... to work with us to achieve something we could have supported and still achieve what the company wanted, vs. coming to us and giving us a list of concessions (and saying) or we will give your flying to somebody else."
To contact this writer, click here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV