THOUSAND OAKS, Calif., March 30, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Amgen (NASDAQ: AMGN) today announced new detailed data from two Phase 3 pivotal studies that showed treatment with its novel investigational cholesterol-lowering medication, evolocumab (AMG 145), resulted in a statistically significant reduction in low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) between 37-39 percent, compared to ezetimibe in patients with high cholesterol who cannot tolerate statins (GAUSS-2) and between 55-76 percent compared to placebo when used in combination with statin therapy in patients with high cholesterol (LAPLACE-2). Results from the two separate Phase 3 studies, GAUSS-2 and LAPLACE-2, were presented today as Late-Breaking Clinical Trials and complement the three Phase 3 studies presented yesterday as Featured Clinical Research at the American College of Cardiology's 63 rd Annual Scientific Session (ACC.14). Positive results from the GAUSS-2 study were simultaneously published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/7061855-amgen-at-american-college-of-cardiology-acc-14-march-30
Evolocumab is an investigational fully human monoclonal antibody that inhibits proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type 9 (PCSK9), a protein that reduces the liver's ability to remove LDL-C from the blood. 1
In the GAUSS-2 study, the most common adverse events (AEs) (≥5 percent in the combined evolocumab group) were headache, myalgia, pain in extremity and muscle spasms. In the LAPLACE-2 study, no AEs occurred in ≥2 percent of the evolocumab combined group. The most common AEs in the evolocumab combined group (>1.5 percent) were back pain, arthralgia, headache, muscle spasms and pain in extremity.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV