3 Mistakes to Avoid When Signing Up for Obamacare Today
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The deadline for open enrollment is today, and for people looking to buy health care insurance, the window for accommodating the individual mandate side of the Affordable Care Act has all but closed.
According to a study from the McKinsey Center for Health Care Reform, the uninsured make up just 27% of the total amount of new health care insurance signees through February.
As usual with uninsured Americans, the reasons for procrastinating come down to one issue: money. "The most common reason for not enrolling cited by both previously insured and previously uninsured respondents continues to be perceived affordability challenges," McKinsey reports. It was cited by half the respondents who had not yet enrolled.
For health insurance shoppers looking to make good in the individual mandate, the watchword even at the deadline should be "caution." Rushing can lead to big mistakes, poor coverage and excessive health care costs, says Mountain View, Calif.-based eHealth."As we approach the end of the open enrollment period, there's still a lot of consumer confusion about the law, about when the enrollment deadline actually occurs and about the consequences of going without minimum essential coverage beyond March 31," says Gary Matalucci, a vice president at eHealth. The company, which operates the nation's largest private health care exchange, offers a list of things to keep in mind when signing up:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV