10 Dumbest Ways to Get Your Identity Stolen
6. Following a phishing email -- even if you're "just curious"
If you get an email letting you know you've won $1 million for a contest you never entered, you shouldn't follow the link or provide any information. Many people know emails like this are a scam, but they still follow along for a bit. This is a huge mistake.
"Some people are curious, so they start a correspondence with the person to see if there's something there or to see what kind of a scam it is," Vogler says. "Unfortunately, any entry into who you are or where you live opens the door. It suddenly becomes really easy for them to hack into your life."
7. Failing to monitor your bank statements and credit card statementsIt's surprising the amount of people who don't monitor their credit card statements or banking statements to check for fraudulent activity, Vogler says. If you keep an eye on your statements, you can catch fraud early on. "Check all your transactions to make sure they're ones you have made. The dates and times, the merchants should all be ones you're familiar with," she says. "Look for anything that doesn't seem typical to your normal behavior and notify your bank or credit card company immediately if something doesn't check out."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV