PORTLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) -- Your nightmares of a polar vortex and endless winter may not have receded yet, but we assure you better weather is on the way -- and that your car's heater and defroster will eventually turn off.
Though snow isn't that distant a memory for much of the country, spring is here and summer will soon follow. If that first gust of warm air wasn't enough to make commuters roll down the windows and dream of a more convertible commuting option, maybe the next few that follow will.
The folks at TrueCar took a look at convertible buying habits and found that folks in California, Florida, Texas, New York and New Jersey are almost always gearing up to take their cars' tops down. Those are the states that tend to invest in convertibles most, while Alaska, Wyoming, North Dakota, Montana and Idaho don't feel it's particularly necessary to own a car that can't keep the breeze or rain out for long stretches at a time.
There's a lot to be said about the practicality of a car that needs long stretches of warm, sunny weather to justify its premium price and relative inefficiency. But it's that buy-in cost that may be keeping folks without addresses in some of the nation's richest states from ditching their hardtops.Still, for car buyers 35 to 54 years old and nearly 40% of the female car-buying public, the convertible is the way to go this time of year. With help from the folks at TrueCar and Kelley Blue book, we put together a list of the Top 5 convertibles on the market for those willing to feel the wind in their faces. It's not for everybody, but neither is wearing kerchiefs to keep your hair from blowing around or swallowing a bug every 20 miles or so:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV