NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- GameStop (GME - Get Report) rebounded 6.7% at 3:13 p.m. on Friday after Sterne Agee remained optimistic about the video game retailer in the wake of its weaker-than-expected fourth-quarter results.
GameStop reported results and issued full-year guidance for 2014 that were below analysts' expectations, but Sterne Agee said the company's outlook is positive because of strong sales of new video game consoles.
The firm believes GameStop's earnings per share could reach $4 in 2014. Sterne Agee noted the company's EPS guidance was in line with analysts' expectations after buyback adjustments. The firm maintained its $52 target price and "buy" rating.
"We expect investor skepticism towards GME to fade as the industry begins to grow again later this year," the firm's research note reads. "GME's upcoming investor day (4/21) and E3 (6/10-6-12) could be potential near-term catalysts."Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. ---------- Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates GAMESTOP CORP as a "buy" with a ratings score of B-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate GAMESTOP CORP (GME) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance, reasonable valuation levels, good cash flow from operations and compelling growth in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 7.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 18.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 111.41% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 51.04% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, GME should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Specialty Retail industry. The net income increased by 111.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$624.30 million to $68.60 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 80.29% to $680.60 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, GAMESTOP CORP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -18.94%.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: GME Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts