Most of China's nuclear know-how has foreign roots. Westinghouse, Alstom, Areva and Russia's Rosatom have been building mainland plants with Chinese partners for years. A relatively new foreign partner now working with Chinese companies on domestic nuclear plant projects is Chicago Bridge and Iron (CBI).
But China General's reactor, called the ACPR-1000, is just one example of the country's effort to work -- and make money -- independently in the field. The first reactor will be installed in a plant now under construction in China's far south which, after start-up, might sell electricity to neighboring Vietnam.
China wants the ACPR-1000 to compete with reactors sold by GE Hitachi, Areva and Westinghouse. China General says the reactor meets "post-Fukushima requirements" for safety. Potential buyers currently include South Africa and Turkey.
And Chinese nuclear companies plan to work in teams. For example, if China General wins a foreign contract for a reactor, other Chinese plant suppliers and contractors would likely get involved in the plant building project. And China General says it's working with Dongfang and Shanghai Electric to offer 100% Chinese-equipped and built nuclear power plants around the world.At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV