By early afternoon, shares had slid 5.4% to $53.10.
The open-source software company said it expects revenue between $412 million and $415 million for its first quarter ending May. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters forecast sales of $414.98 million, at the high-end of management's range.
First-quarter net income fell short of expectations, however. Red Hat issued earnings guidance of 32 cents to 33 cents a share, lower than analysts' estimates of 34 cents a share.For its fiscal 2015 ending February, the Raleigh, N.C.- based business said it expects revenue between $1.73 billion and $1.75 billion and earnings in the range of $1.54 to $1.56 a share. Analysts had expected full-year sales of $1.751 billion and earnings of $1.58 a share. Weak guidance overshadowed a better-than-expected fourth quarter. Red Hat reported net income of 39 cents a share on $400.4 million in sales. Analysts had forecast 37 cents a share in net income and $398.92 million in revenue. Must read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates RED HAT INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate RED HAT INC (RHT) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: RHT Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV