NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Investors on StockTwits.com struggled with their faith in MannKind (MNKD) Friday after an analyst's bearish note. The small-cap biotech company has an inhaled diabetes drug that could be worth hundreds of millions annually-if the medication receives FDA approval. If the drug isn't approved, it has little in the pipeline to cushion the blow.
The path to approval might not be easy. In a note to clients, Piper Jaffray analysts wrote that an FDA panel's briefing documents on MannKind's insulin inhaler "Afrezza" suggest an "uphill battle." The FDA's Endocrinologic and Metabolic Drugs Advisory Committee will meet on Tuesday April 1 to discuss the drug.
$MNKD MannKind briefing docs suggest 'uphill battle,' says Piper Jaffray http://stks.co/p09jS Fair assessment.I, too, turned neutral todayMannKind shares had dropped nearly 6% by mid-day, though they recovered some by 1 p.m. EDT. In a report, the FDA said Afrezza is effective in treating Type 2 diabetes but can cause breathing problems. The FDA reviewer also wrote that the drug showed "statistically inferior" blood sugar reduction in patients with Type 1 diabetes compared to other fast acting insulin drugs. The cashtaggers dilemma illustrates a problem with investing in early stage biotech companies with one major, unapproved drug. If the drug is approved, the stock can go up more than 100%. But if the drug fails along the way, there's little reason for investors to keep holding shares, and the stock plummets.
Keynesonomics (@Keynesonomics) Mar. 28 at 12:53 PM
@shanemmas if approved without much label restriction, you can see the stock trading 18-22 but no approval means 50 cents eventually.At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
fkshen (@fkshen) Mar. 28 at 12:55 PM
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV