Update (4:25 p.m.): Updated with Friday market close information.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- 2U (TWOU) rose 7.54% to $13.98 at the close of trading on Friday, its first day of trading after the cloud-based education provider's IPO. More than 9.3 million shares changed hands during the day.
2U priced its initial public offering at $13, the high end of its range of $11 to $13. The company sold 8 million shares, while selling stockholders sold 1.2 million shares for a total of 9.2 million shares in the IPO. The company and some selling stockholders also included a 30-day option for underwriters to buy up to an additional 1.4 million shares.
The Landover, Md.-based company was founded in 2008 and provides software to colleges and universities to facilitate online classes.2U had a loss of $28.3 million on revenue of $83.1 million in 2013, according to the AP. That revenue figure was nearly 50% greater than its revenue in 2012. 2U and Aerohive Networks (HIVE), a wireless technology company, both debuted on the market on Friday. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV