NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Jim Cramer encourages investors to embrace "stealth tech," or the idea that technology is not simply limited to personal computers and mobile devices. There are several companies that are involved with technology that one might not expect.
Under Armour (UA) is one such stock that has been red hot lately. Cramer recently spoke to Blake Nordstrom, the president of Nordstrom (JWN). He learned that the apparel retailer is spending $1 billion on technology to keep up with Amazon (AMZN). Cramer likes companies that invest in technology because this method accelerates growth and costs less in the long run.
Cramer also thinks Nordstrom has not received enough credit for its website, which is all tech-oriented.
Finally, Cramer notes DuPont (DD) has also become a technology play.Must Watch: Jim Cramer Says Embrace 'Stealth Tech' That Accelerates Growth STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. ---------- Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates NORDSTROM INC as a "buy" with a ratings score of A-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate NORDSTROM INC (JWN) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, increase in stock price during the past year, expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 10.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.3%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- NORDSTROM INC' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NORDSTROM INC increased its bottom line by earning $3.72 versus $3.56 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.85 versus $3.72).
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Looking ahead, unless broad bear market conditions prevail, we still see more upside potential for this stock, despite the fact that it has already risen over the past year.
- 42.14% is the gross profit margin for NORDSTROM INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of JWN's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, JWN's net profit margin of 7.22% compares favorably to the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Multiline Retail industry and the overall market, NORDSTROM INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: JWN Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.