NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Canadian Solar (CSIQ) rose more than 4.5% on Friday after the company's wholly-owned subsidiary, Canadian Solar Solutions, completed the sale of a power plant to a subsidiary of BluEarth Renewables.
Canadian Solar Solutions sold its 8.5 megawatt AC solar power plant called Little Creek to BluEarth for C$53 million. The sale is the first of four scheduled solar projects that Canadian Solar plans to sell to BluEarth for a total of 38.5 MW AC.
"We are pleased to complete the sale and transfer of the first of four solar projects to BluEarth Renewables," said Canadian Solar Chairman and CEO Shawn Qu in a statement. "This is an important group of projects as it helps move BluEarth closer to its goal of having C$1 billion of high-quality, long-term contracted renewable energy plants. From Canadian Solar's standpoint, this successful project sale closure allows us to redeploy resources to other projects and to further expand our pipeline, which exceeds 4.5 gigawatts."
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates CANADIAN SOLAR INC as a "hold" with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate CANADIAN SOLAR INC (CSIQ) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including generally higher debt management risk and poor profit margins." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- CSIQ's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 5.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 76.2%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- CANADIAN SOLAR INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, CANADIAN SOLAR INC turned its bottom line around by earning $0.56 versus -$4.52 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.72 versus $0.56).
- The gross profit margin for CANADIAN SOLAR INC is rather low; currently it is at 19.49%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, CSIQ's net profit margin of 4.03% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 2.32 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. To add to this, CSIQ has a quick ratio of 0.56, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CSIQ Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV