The invitation, which shows an armchair and a bowl of popcorn, clearly indicates the company's desire to make inroads into the living room. "Please join us for an update on our video business," it says.
Speculation has swirled for months around Amazon's next big product announcement and media reports have pointed to the launch of a streaming device. TechCrunch reports that the device could come in dongle form and start shipping in April via Amazon's Web site and retailers such as Best Buy (BBY) and Staples (SPLS).
A number of tech heavyweights, however, are already playing in this space. An Amazon streaming product would be up against Apple's
(AAPL) Apple TV, Google's
(GOOG) Chromecast and Roku's streaming device. There has been chatter that Amazon's new offering could be part of the Kindle Fire family and carry Netflix
(P), Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video.
Amazon shares dipped 0.99% to $340.03 during Thursday trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV