NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of ReneSola Ltd.
(SOL) were down 5.93% to $3.17 in trading Thursday. The drop comes after the Chinese solar wafer producer revealed that the U.S. Department of Commerce was investing the company for dumping.
"This investigation may result in certain retroactive tariffs being applied on products shipped to the United States within the investigation scope, including modules with Chinese and Taiwanese cell elements, if the Department finds sharply increased Chinese shipments to the United States from March to the preliminary ruling date," said Xianshou Li, ReneSola CEO. "In the interests of our clients and investors, we are temporarily reducing our U.S. product shipments in question."
"The company intends to fully cooperate with the investigation proceedings and to pursue the best outcome for ReneSola, as well as the industry," ReneSola said in a statement. A preliminary ruling in the investigation is expected in June.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks
TheStreet Ratings team rates RENESOLA LTD as a Sell with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:"We rate RENESOLA LTD (SOL) a SELL. This is driven by a few notable weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, generally high debt management risk, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins and feeble growth in its earnings per share." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 154.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$78.61 million to -$200.25 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 5.54 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.45, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, RENESOLA LTD's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for RENESOLA LTD is currently extremely low, coming in at 14.68%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, SOL's net profit margin of -47.76% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- RENESOLA LTD has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, RENESOLA LTD reported poor results of -$2.80 versus -$0.01 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.79 versus -$2.80).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SOL Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts