Nexstar Broadcasting Group, Inc. (Nasdaq:NXST) announced today that WJMN-TV, the CBS affiliate serving Marquette and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula (DMA 180), will launch new, innovative local news programming beginning in April 2014. In concert with Nexstar’s organization-wide commitment to broadcasting excellence and locally-originated news programming, WJMN-TV will launch under the branding “LOCAL 3,” which will air Monday through Friday at 6:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. in full high definition.
To support the LOCAL 3 News operations and an expanded staff, Nexstar will open a new state-of-the-art broadcast facility just west of Marquette, MI in what will become WJMN-TV Plaza. The new facility is currently under construction and will feature a dynamic news studio outfitted with the latest high definition news production resources, broadcast technologies and presentation equipment.
“Nexstar is a collection of local businesses serving local viewers and the communities where we operate,” said Perry Sook, Nexstar’s President and Chief Executive Officer. “Localism is the top priority at Nexstar and we have over 3,000 employees who are committed to addressing the needs of local viewers, hometown businesses, and organizations across 44 markets with in-depth local news coverage and other content and programming relevant to these communities. Nexstar and Mission will continue to build on their industry-wide leadership in delivering exceptional service in our markets as the organization pursues its goals for continued growth.”
Nexstar consistently elevates the level of service provided to local communities in the markets it serves across the United States by making meaningful capital investments to expand local news, lifestyle, sports, weather and other programming and enhancing station infrastructure, production resources and technologies. The Company’s initiatives in these areas include:
- Nexstar produces local news programming on 95% of the stations that it owns, operates, programs or provides sales and other services to, totaling 70 local news producing television stations serving 41 markets;
- Approximately three quarters of Nexstar and Mission Broadcasting’s markets have invested in and are producing HD newscasts;
- Over the last five years Nexstar and Mission have:
- Invested approximately $78 million to expand local news programming and make technology and infrastructure enhancements. These investments follow approximately $85 million of investments in broadcasting technology by Nexstar, which concluded in 2009, for digital conversions of its television broadcasting platform.
- More than doubled the total hours of locally produced programming on a weekly and annual basis
- Opened five new state-of-the-art broadcast facilities in Joplin, MO, Fayetteville, AR, Memphis, TN, Fresno, CA, and Marquette, MI;
- In acknowledgement of outstanding journalistic contributions and local community service, Nexstar and Mission stations have garnered more than 330 awards over the past five years including:
- 161 State Broadcast Association Awards
- 64 Local and Other Broadcasting Awards
- 42 State Associated Press Awards
- 24 Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards
- 16 State Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Awards
- 15 Emmy Awards
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts