Story updated at 10 a.m. to reflect market activity.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Jefferies cut its price target for BHP Billiton BHP to $73 from $83 Thursday while maintaining a "buy" rating for the stock.
Shares of BHP gained 0.4% to $66.63 in morning trading.
The analyst firm also cut its EPS for the miner. Both cuts are due to the new commodity price forecasts which may hurt BHP."Chinese demand growth for commodities is unlikely to accelerate without aggressive stimulus, and commodity prices should therefore remain range-bound near current levels," Jefferies analysts wrote. "We are lowering some of our commodity price forecasts, earnings estimates and target prices to reflect this "new normal". In this environment, Rio and BHP continue to be out top picks." Must read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV