NEW YORK, March 27, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- BNY Mellon, a global leader in investment management and investment services, has automated the calculation of collateral requirements in the exchange-traded funds (ETF) marketplace. The BNY Mellon enhancement is designed to reduce errors in ETF transactions and improve the ability of Authorized Participants (APs) to manage and allocate funds.
The primary market in ETFs is driven by APs which are large financial institutions/broker dealers that trade the underlying securities during the creation or redemption of ETF units.
With its recent innovation, BNY Mellon has developed an automated process for calculating collateral requirements and reporting them to the APs on a daily basis. Prior to this enhancement, the APs were notified through a manual process that was not as efficient as the new automated system. This additional functionality builds on BNY Mellon's ETF Center, which was launched as the industry's first global technology platform designed to serve the needs of APs on both the web and mobile applications."More efficient and automated transactions will further enhance the reliability and attractiveness of the ETF marketplace," said Joseph Keenan, head of global ETF services for BNY Mellon. "Authorized participants that work with BNY Mellon will have better reporting and better management of the cash collateral they employ in the marketplace." With many funds, APs have the option of delivering a basket of securities or cash collateral to an ETF servicer, such as BNY Mellon, when creating new ETF fund shares. By posting cash collateral on the settlement date of an ETF order, APs can ensure that the ETFs shares are released in a timely manner even if some components of the ETF basket cannot be delivered by settlement date. The collateral remains in the ETF servicer's account until delivery of the components of the basket covered by the collateral.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV