Baxter International Inc. (NYSE: BAX) today announced plans to create two separate, independent global healthcare companies -- one focused on developing and marketing innovative biopharmaceuticals and the other on life-saving medical products. Both will be global leaders in their respective markets.
Baxter has positioned both businesses to be successful, profitable and sustainable independent companies, and this decision reflects further evolution of Baxter’s multi-faceted strategies emphasizing a commitment to innovation and operational excellence. To date, this has led to the development of a robust pipeline of novel and cost-effective therapies and numerous in-licensing collaborations within the biopharmaceuticals business, and the medical products portfolio was recently bolstered by the acquisition of Gambro AB, a global provider and leader of dialysis products, providing a number of longer-term growth opportunities as well as significant commercial and cost synergies.
''Baxter has an established history of executing successful spinoffs, and we have continued to evaluate the separation of these two businesses in response to diverging business dynamics and the rapidly changing macro-environment,'' said Robert L. Parkinson, Jr., chairman and chief executive officer. ''This decision underscores Baxter’s commitment to ensuring its long-term strategic priorities remain aligned with shareholders’ best interests, while improving our competitive position and performance, enhancing operational, commercial and scientific effectiveness and creating value for patients, healthcare providers, and other key stakeholders.''
The two businesses operate in distinct markets with corresponding underlying fundamentals, and each possesses unique and compelling growth prospects, investment requirements and risk profiles. The spinoff will create two, well-capitalized independent companies with strong balance sheets, investment grade profiles, and disciplined approaches to capital allocation. In addition, Baxter believes that the separation will result in other material benefits to the stand-alone companies, including:
- Greater management focus on the distinct businesses of biopharmaceuticals and medical products
- Ability to more effectively commercialize new and existing product offerings
- Ability to drive innovation across the franchises and allocate necessary resources to the areas presenting the highest growth potential
- Flexibility to pursue respective growth and investment strategies resulting in revenue acceleration, improved profitability and enhanced returns
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV