Conn’s, Inc. (NASDAQ:CONN), a specialty retailer of home appliances, furniture, mattresses, consumer electronics and provider of consumer credit, today announced financial results for the quarter and fiscal year ended Jan. 31, 2014.
Full-year fiscal 2014 highlights include (on year-over-year basis unless noted):
- Consolidated revenues increased 38.0% to $1.19 billion;
- Same store sales grew 26.5%;
- Opened 14 new locations in six new markets;
- Retail gross margin expanded 470 basis points to 39.9%;
- Retail segment adjusted operating income rose 140.5% to $136.1 million;
- Credit segment adjusted operating income was $27.8 million, a 40.7% decrease;
- Credit segment provision for bad debts was 11.0% of the average outstanding portfolio balance;
- Adjusted diluted earnings increased 57.7%, to $2.57 per share, from $1.63 per share; and
- Diluted earnings grew 62.8%, to $2.54 per share.
Fourth-quarter fiscal 2014 significant items include (on year-over-year basis unless noted):
- Consolidated revenues increased 44.3% to $361.1 million;
- Same store sales grew 33.4%, with the pace of expansion decelerating in January to 18.3%;
- Opened eight new locations in four new markets;
- Retail gross margin expanded 370 basis points to 40.6%;
- Selling, general and administrative expense as a percent of revenue improved 220 basis points to 26.9%, as retail sales leverage was realized;
- Retail segment adjusted operating income rose 147.4% to $49.1 million;
- Adjusted credit segment operating loss was $1.9 million, declining $15.5 million;
- The percentage of the customer portfolio balance 60+ days delinquent was 8.8% as of Jan. 31;
- Credit segment provision for bad debts on an annualized basis was 15.1% of the average outstanding portfolio balance;
- Adjusted diluted earnings grew 37.0%, to $0.74 per share, from $0.54 per share; and
- Diluted earnings increased 50.0%, to $0.75 per share.
Theodore M. Wright, Conn’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer stated, “Total revenues rose 44% in the fourth quarter and adjusted earnings per diluted share increased 37%. Same store sales increased 33%, with growth in each of our categories. Higher-margin furniture and mattress product same store sales increased 60%. Our business model demonstrated its strength and resilience despite the challenges from portfolio growth and weather in our credit operation in the fourth quarter.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts