VANCOUVER, March 26, 2014 /PRNewswire/ - Taseko Mines Limited (TSX:TKO; NYSE MKT:TGB) ("Taseko" or the "Company") today applied for a second judicial review in respect to the federal government's recent decision on its proposed New Prosperity Gold-Copper Mine Project.
Russ Hallbauer, President & CEO of Taseko stated that the New Prosperity project, and specifically Taseko's plan to save Fish Lake, was not evaluated in a fair, open and transparent manner. "We will seek to rectify both the failed process and the decision that stemmed from it in a court of law, the only reasonable option open to us."
Taseko maintains it had a legitimate expectation that if any third-party representations were made to the federal government concerning the project after the Panel Review was complete that Taseko would be afforded an opportunity to make responses to those submissions. The Company was never given that opportunity.
Among Taseko's claims are that government officials held inappropriate closed door meetings with opponents of the proposed mine without Taseko's knowledge or informing the Company of the content of those meetings."We believe that the final government decision failed to consider critical information submitted by the Company and thus failed to fully understand our commitment and ability to protect the environment," added Mr. Hallbauer. "We were never given a fair opportunity to correct any misrepresentations about the project, nor were we allowed to clarify any misunderstanding on our plan to save Fish Lake." Taseko is asking the Federal Court to set aside decisions by the CEAA, the Minister of Environment and the Governor in Council because of "a failure to observe the principles of natural justice and procedural fairness." Russell Hallbauer President & CEO No regulatory authority has approved or disapproved of the information contained in this news release.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV