NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- April is just around the corner, but Facebook (FB) has already had an active 2014. A mere 12 weeks into the year, the social network has made claims for not one, but three companies, experimented around with advertising, and had shares explode on sales growth.
Here's TheStreet's very, very premature retrospective on Facebook's year so far.
Facebook to Acquire Oculus VR: March 25
Facebook splashed $2 billion on its intent to buy Oculus VR, developer of virtual reality gaming headset Oculus Rift. As part of the agreement, Oculus will receive $400 million in cash and 23.1 million shares of Facebook stock, plus be eligible for up to $300 million in performance-based bonuses.Exactly what Facebook intends to do with Oculus is unknown, but in a statement CEO Mark Zuckerberg lauds gaming as the 'platform of tomorrow' and says the company can "change the way we work, play and communicate." The transaction is expected to close in the second quarter of 2014. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Facebook Launches Premium Video Ads: March 13 Facebook begins testing Premium Video Ads in its users' newsfeeds. Each 15-second video ad will play automatically without sound. If an advertisement is clicked on, the video will expand to fullscreen and sound will begin to play. "We'll roll out Premium Video Ads slowly and monitor how people interact with them. This limited introduction allows us to concentrate our efforts on a smaller number of advertisers with high-quality campaigns to create the best possible experience on Facebook," the company said in a blog post. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV