NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Francesca's Holdings are falling after the retailer blamed harsh winter weather for a 29% drop in fiscal fourth-quarter earnings.
Francesca's Holdings (FRAN) reported fiscal fourth-quarter earnings that fell 29% -- and the clothing and accessories retailer is blaming it on the harsh winter weather.
Francesca's reported adjusted earnings of 27 cents a share, missing analyst estimates by a penny, according to Thomson Reuters. The company's comparable-store sales fell 6%, and markdowns and promotions also contributed to lower margins.CEO Neill Davis attributed the weaker-than-expected results to stores forced to close in January due to the extreme winter conditions. Davis said the negative trends have continued into the current quarter, hampering the retailer's ability to clear out fall and winter merchandise. He said the company's quarterly outlook reflects its expectation that customer traffic will remain soft through the quarter. For the current quarter, Francesca's forecasts earnings of 20 cents to 24 cents a share, falling short of analyst expectations of profit of 28 cents a share, according to Thomson Reuters. At last check, shares of Francesca's were falling 10.5% to $18.67. In New York, I'm Brittany Umar for TheStreet. -- Written by Brittany Umar in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV