NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- "Content is king" is now the prevailing mantra in subscription businesses. Investors will casually remind you whenever they need to feel good about their positions.
But they forget that there's no content without money. And very few companies can stack their wallet side by side with Apple's (AAPL) and feel confident.
To that end, while Netflix (NFLX) does have a strong content library, the stock has traded as if that library is filled with history books. Investors have begun to wonder if there's a future. Netflix stock closed down 2.13% Tuesday at $370.84. Although the stock is up roughly 1% on the year, shares have plummeted 13% in two days. Investors aren't wasting time.
Apple reportedly is in talks with Comcast (CMCSA), the nation's largest cable provider, to reinvent the way consumers watch television. Reports suggest that both companies are negotiating terms on a joint streaming-television service using an Apple's set-top box, currently known as Apple TV. In return, Apple wants "special treatment" on Comcast's public lines.
Apple seeks assurances from Comcast that there will be no congestion. For this to be possible, Apple would need an exclusive line that allows it to bypass the "last mile" congestion, or the part of the transmission that reaches the customer.Apple plans to allow users to stream live and on-demand programming stored in "cloud" servers. If this deal does go through, Apple would have already been successful at re-inventing collaborative efforts between "old media" and a tech power. But there's something else that needs "re-inventing," according to Tim Cook, Apple's CEO.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV