NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Ballard Power Systems (BLDP) surged 32.19% to $5.40, up nearly $1.32 from its previous close of $4.09, on Tuesday as the stock rose in sympathy with peer companies Plug Power (PLUG) and FuelCell Energy (FCEL).
Plug Power soared 49.03% to $8.48 after CEO Andy Marsh told MarketWatch that the company "signed an additional order in North America with a global automaker" but did not specify the other party or provide any specifics on the deal.
Ballard provides fuel cell stacks to Plug Power for its more than 2,800 GenDrive Systems.
FuelCell rose 19.75% to $2.91 after news that the largest publicly-traded U.S. fuel cell manufacturer would provide a power plant for a greenhouse facility in British Columbia. The company will provide a power plant for a C$7.5 million, or $6.7 million, project to convert landfill gas into electricity and carbon dioxide to sustain plants at a Canadian greenhouse. Village Farms International said in a statement that it combined the fuel cell with a system from Quadrogen Power Systems that gathers and separates landfill gas. One stream of the gas powers the fuel cell and the "food-grade" carbon dioxide feeds the plants.Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV