Update (4:45 p.m.): Updated with Tuesday market close information and one-year high price.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Arotech (ARTX) surged more than 50% to a one-year high of $6.34 on Tuesday after the defense and security products company announced its battery division had received more than $2 million in orders from "two leading defense companies and manufacturers of military equipment," according to the company's statement.
The company noted the companies are existing Arotech customers. One of the orders was for the development and manufacture of Lithium-Ion based batteries to replace Lead-Acid batteries in military vehicles.
"We have invested in the development of batteries for military vehicles using Lithium-Ion technology replacing the more traditional Lead-Acid chemistry. While Lithium-Ion provides a much higher energy density, the challenge is in managing and protecting what is a more volatile battery chemistry," Arotech Chairman and CEO Robert S. Ehrlich said in a statement. "The technology underpinning our battery management systems which protect these batteries is sophisticated, advanced and ideal for the tough military environment.
"These customers are top defense manufacturers with sales of equipment throughout the world for use by various militaries using advanced technologies. Their equipment is expected to be of the highest caliber and failsafe. The fact that our customers continue their purchase of our batteries means they trust the reliability, quality and safety of our products."
The stock closed up 50.97% to $6.25, up $2.11 from its previous close of $4.14. More than 10.58 million shares changed hands, more than 10 times the average volume of 904,795. The stock hit a low of $4.09 for the day and holds a one-year low of $1.Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
- ARTX's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 7.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 8.2%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- ARTX's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.12 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.39, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. In comparison to the other companies in the Aerospace & Defense industry and the overall market, AROTECH CORP's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for AROTECH CORP is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 28.70%. Regardless of ARTX's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 3.71% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ARTX Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV