NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Sirius XM Holdings Inc. (SIRI) is down 4.14% to $3.12 following a report by re/code that Apple's (AAPL) nascent iTunes Radio platform had reached a deal with National Public Radio to stream the channel.
Apple has stepped directly into a market that Sirius had previously dominated. NPR can be streamed for free on iTunes Radio and is the first news station on the platform. NPR can already be heard for free on the web and via mobile apps and boasts 30 million visitors per month.
Apple's streaming service previously focused solely on music and was not seen as a direct threat to Sirius subscription for premium channels model. For now Sirius, with its 26.5 million subscribers, remains the leader in the space.
TheStreet Ratings team rates SIRIUS XM HOLDINGS INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
- SIRI's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 12.1%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $358.58 million or 22.28% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -11.84%.
- The gross profit margin for SIRIUS XM HOLDINGS INC is rather high; currently it is at 60.37%. Regardless of SIRI's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 6.51% trails the industry average.
- SIRIUS XM HOLDINGS INC's earnings per share declined by 50.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past year. However, we anticipate this trend reversing over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SIRIUS XM HOLDINGS INC reported lower earnings of $0.06 versus $0.53 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.09 versus $0.06).
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. The stock's price rise over the last year has driven it to a level which is somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SIRI Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV