NEW YORK (The Deal) -- With the purchase of Maker Studios for $500 million, and additional payments of up to $450 million, Walt Disney (DIS) is making a substantial bet on one of the larger YouTube video networks.
Disney is wagering that it can develop earnings, brands and content in the back yard of Google (GOOG), which owns YouTube. The company said Monday it would buy Maker Studios, which produces video for 55,000 channels on YouTube. The service gets 5.5 billion views per month from 380 million subscribers.
Disney CEO Bob Iger in a statement said the deal puts Disney at the center of short-form online video, a niche he described as "growing at an astonishing pace."Maker Studios features content such as the fashion show "The Get Up" in its Women network. The company's Polaris group of programming, which Maker described as "the #1 destination for geek culture," has talent such as famed gamer and YouTube star PewDiePie. Cowen & Co. analyst Doug Creutz wrote in a Tuesday report that Disney had reaffirmed its reputation for "paying top dollar" for content. "We note that Disney has a checkered acquisition history with new media companies, most notably the Infoseek deal in 1999 and the $563 million acquisition of social gaming company Playdom in 2010 right as that business was peaking in users," he wrote. "Until the recent success of the video game Disney Infinity (an organically- developed idea), Disney's Interactive segment had been generating losses for years." Disney said the purchase would help the company produce short-form videos using some of its existing brands.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV