First up is electrical component maker TE Connectivity (TEL), a name that's certainly been in the momentum camp in the last year. Over those past 12 months, TEL has rallied more than 42%, besting the S&P 500's climb by a factor of two. Don't worry if you've missed the upside so far -- this stock looks like it has further to run.
That's because the long-term uptrend in TEL has evolved into a textbook ascending triangle pattern, a bullish price setup formed by horizontal resistance above shares at $60 and uptrending support to the downside. Basically, as shares bounce in between those two technically significant levels, it's getting squeezed closer and closer to a breakout above resistance at $60. When that happens, we've got our buy signal.Relative strength has been looking strong in TEL over the last few months -- and that's critical right now. When the broad market is kicking into corrective mode, relative strength is the single most important indicator you can have in your toolbox. The 50-day moving average has been a solid proxy for support on the way up, so it's a good place to put a protective stop when buyers take out resistance at $60.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV