Art museums often serve dual purposes: to display works of art in an aesthetically pleasing fashion, and to preserve those works for future generations.
Preservation and maintaining aesthetics are two goals that pose unique challenges, and a flexible lighting system in a gallery environment is crucial to each. The Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) recently took a big step in enhancing its commitment to both by installing Zinnia™ LED lighting fixtures by Journée Lighting, featuring GE’s Infusion™ LED Modules.
“For MOCA’s purposes, the winning attribute of this product was the pairing of high-quality light and flexibility of the product to meet the ever-changing needs of temporary art exhibits,” said Kate Pittman, MOCA’s director of operations. “MOCA maintained its appearance and receives all the added benefits of energy-efficient lighting without the concern for harmful heat and high electrical bills.”
MOCA replaced traditional 75-watt PAR halogen lamps with more than 450 new Zinnia LED luminaires outfitted with the Infusion LED Modules. The LED solution from GE Lighting offers a color rendering index of 90; a 2700K color temperature; and a dramatic reduction in IR radiation and UV radiation, both of which are carefully monitored in museums due to their harmful effects on artwork.With twist-fit installation, a common socket design and an extensive range of compatible luminaires, GE’s Infusion LED Modules offer a flexible solution for museum environments. The simple, removable modules allow MOCA to update its lighting without having to replace entire lighting fixtures. By switching to LED lighting, the museum will reap significant savings, Pittman said. The new system is expected to pay for itself within seven years, and will allow for a significant decrease in maintenance and upkeep.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV