This Day On The Street
Continue to site
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

King Digital's Doubters Are Wrong

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- You've heard it, all the negative publicity over King Digital Entertainment's initial public offering.

One-hit wonder. What the hell is Candy Crush Saga?

Well, when you stop carping and actually look at the company's F-1 IPO filing, you see a healthy business model.

I'm not saying I'm buying shares of the stock on Day 1 Wednesday when it starts trading under the ticker symbol of "KING," but the assumption -- yes, mine, too -- was that King was a joke of an IPO. But is it?

In the F-1 filing, you'll see that King had annual 2013 revenue of $1.88 billion. This dwarfs 2012's revenue figure of just $165 million, and actually isn't all that far from the $3.8 billion in revenue Electronic Art's (EA) had in 2013. At least when you consider how long each company has been established. 

Furthermore, King has been cash flow-positive since 2005, currently has no debt and has $408 million in cash. 

Must Read: Panera: Speak Chipotle, Say Less Than McDonald's

In 2013, earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization and adjusted margins also rang in at an impressive 44%, while the company earned $4.65 per share for the year. 

So by all accounts, this company actually has some sexy metrics and by most standards could have a reasonable valuation for its current performance, pending on the opening price of the stock. 

WATCH: King Digital IPO Has Investors Waiting to Taste Candy Crush

King Digital is looking to price between $21 to $24, giving the company a valuation of roughly $7.5 billion. In comparison, Electronic Arts currently has a market cap of roughly $9 billion, Activision Blizzard (ATVI) has a market cap of $14.6 billion and Take-Two Interactive Software (TTWO) has a market cap of $2.1 billion. 

Despite the high margins, solid free-cash flow, no debt, plenty of cash and high revenue growth, there lies one problem with this stock: Candy Crush Saga

The game accounted for 78% of the company's total gross bookings. An additional 17% of total gross bookings came from just two other games (Pet Rescue Saga and Farm Heroes Saga). In all, 95% of the company's total gross bookings are comprised of three games. 

1 of 2

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Real Money

More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.

Product Features:
  • Access to Jim Cramer's daily blog
  • Intraday commentary and news
  • Real-time trading forums
Only $49.95
14-Days Free
14-Days Free
KING $18.00 0.00%
AAPL $95.18 0.00%
FB $117.43 0.00%
GOOG $692.36 0.00%
TSLA $232.32 0.00%


Chart of I:DJI
DOW 17,750.91 -140.25 -0.78%
S&P 500 2,063.37 -18.06 -0.87%
NASDAQ 4,763.2240 -54.37 -1.13%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs