NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Candy Crush Saga maker King Digital may be scheduled to begin trading on the New York Stock Exchange
(ICE) following an expected IPO this week, but investors may want to take advantage of Zynga's
(ZNGA) recent price dip instead.
Yes, I understand the bullish thesis for King Digital and the addictive properties of Candy Crush Saga. My wife showed me how it's played and monetizes users.
I wouldn't spend any time -- let alone money -- playing Candy Crush Saga, but my opinion of the game doesn't factor into my evaluation of King Digital as an investment.
What I see is a company with a dependency on one game for 78% of bookings and more than 70% of its daily traffic. King Digital offers a lot of games, and as we can all see, it takes only one monster hit to strike gold -- for a while at least.
Our own Antoine Gara has already written about how King Digital's IPO is riskier than it may seem and raised questions about the company's reliance on one game that could be a fad.
In my view, Zynga offers a better risk-to-reward ratio as an investment.
Interest in getting a piece of Candy Crush Saga is naturally creating comparisons between King Digital, Zynga, Glu Mobile (GLUU), and others. Many are quick to point out that King Digital is profitable while Zynga and Glu Mobile are not.
Examining a company's financials is necessary and prudent, but limiting your opinion to past financial results is akin to driving using your rearview mirror.
Zynga has a $4 billion market cap, no material debt, more than $1 billion dollars in cash ($1.25 per share), the No. 1 play-money poker site in the world, and an online gambling license from the U.K. This is a combination for explosive profit potential, but most investors haven't figured it out yet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV