COLOGNE/BONN, March 25, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- UPS (NYSE: UPS) has celebrated the official opening of a $200 million expansion of its European air hub facilities at Cologne/Bonn Airport in Germany that will continue to serve as Europe's window into the world of international trade and export. The expansion, which took two years to construct and has already created an additional 200 jobs, constitutes one of UPS's largest facility investments in the company's history and cements its position as the largest employer at the airport with more than 2,500 employees today.
"With this upgrade, we now have the equivalent of 15 football fields of sorting space for a growing export economy on the move," said Cindy Miller, President, UPS Europe. "All of this ensures that UPS's Cologne/Bonn air hub remains the centerpiece of the company's European express network, a key component of UPS's global air operations, and one of the largest and most advanced sorting facilities in the world."
The operating area now measures more than 105,000 square meters (1,130,000 square feet). The addition of eight automated sorters increases the hub's package sorting capacity by 70 percent to 190,000 packages per hour - or around 53 packages per second. The conveyor system now covers a distance of about 40 kilometers (25 miles), with a package taking an average of just 15 minutes to move through the hub from unload to load point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV