NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Ctrip.com International (CTRP - Get Report) slipped on Monday after a third-party website exposed a potential security flaw within the company's storage system for credit-card data.
By market close, shares had taken off 3.4% to $47.79. Trading volume of 5.2 million had exceeded its three-month daily average of 4.7 million.
Following the hack, Ctrip.com released a statement noting they had "conducted a thorough internal check and removed the cause of the potential security concern within two hours."
The third-party website downloaded 93 customers' credit card information to prove the security risk. Ctrip.com has since notified all 93 customers to warn them of potential risks.
Must Read: Why Arris Group (ARRS) Is Down Today
"To the company's knowledge, no customer has suffered financial loss or other damage due to the incident. Ctrip is also making efforts to ensure all customer information will be safeguarded by the company with high security standards," the Shanhai-based business added.
TheStreet Ratings team rates CTRIP.COM INTL LTD as a Buy with a ratings score of B-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate CTRIP.COM INTL LTD (CTRP) a BUY. This is driven by a few notable strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance, expanding profit margins, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and growth in earnings per share. Although no company is perfect, currently we do not see any significant weaknesses which are likely to detract from the generally positive outlook."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 8.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 35.7%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 141.66% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, CTRP should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- The gross profit margin for CTRIP.COM INTL LTD is currently very high, coming in at 72.70%. Regardless of CTRP's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, CTRP's net profit margin of 18.11% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- CTRP's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.75 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Despite the fact that CTRP's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 2.05 is high and demonstrates strong liquidity.
- CTRIP.COM INTL LTD's earnings per share improvement from the most recent quarter was slightly positive. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CTRIP.COM INTL LTD increased its bottom line by earning $1.10 versus $0.80 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 12.7% in earnings ($0.96 versus $1.10).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CTRP Ratings Report