NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Oi SA
(OIBR) are up 6.25% today to $1.53 as a group of five banks are supporting plans by the Brazilian telecom firm to raise billions in new capital, guaranteeing that they will buy above 50% of the shares to be offered, sources say, reports the Wall Street Journal.
The banks are part of a larger group of 14 institutions coordinating the capital raise of between $2.58 and $3.44 billion, key to Oi's planned merger with Portugal Telecom (PT). The five banks would move to purchase the shares if there isn't sufficient interest from investors, the source added.
A spokeswoman for Oi declined to comment.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates OI SA as a Sell with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate OI SA (OIBR) a SELL. This is driven by several weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, generally high debt management risk, disappointing return on equity and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- OI SA has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, OI SA reported lower earnings of $0.79 versus $0.92 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 104.3% in earnings (-$0.03 versus $0.79).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 72.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $284.81 million to $77.29 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 3.36 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. To add to this, OIBR has a quick ratio of 0.69, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry and the overall market, OI SA's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 58.00%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 70.58% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: OIBR Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts