Always important when discussing dividends is the fact that, in general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Wells Fargo & Co., looking at the dividend history chart for WFC below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.5% annualized dividend yield.
Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the June expiration, for shareholders of Wells Fargo & Co. (WFC) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.5% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $49 strike and collecting the premium based on the $1.38 bid, annualizes to an additional 11.6% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 14% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $49 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but WFC shares would have to climb 0% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 2.8% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.
The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for Wells Fargo & Co., highlighting in green where the $48 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $49 strike in red:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV